This movie....oh this movie scared the crap out of me when it first came out. After watching it again I can't see why the movie scared me so much. I'm guessing it was mostly the idea of the movie itself. The fact that at any time someone could just decide to break into my home and murder me. Well, after screwing with my head all night. Literally every sound I heard at night for the next week kept me up. I was on edge for a while. Again, I guess it was more the idea behind the movie rather than the movie itself. Anyway, here we go.
James Hoyt and his girlfriend Kristen McKay have just left a wedding reception. She's crying and he looks demoralized. We learn very soon it's because he proposed, and she said no. Sucks for him because he had his family's vacation home all romanticized for the occasion, expecting her to say yes. Instead she takes a bath and he eats a gallon of ice cream. Girl. At any rate, once the awkwardness wears off James and Kristen decide to have one more go at each other. I shan't be any more detailed than that. Then there's a knock on the door. At four in the morning. now, here's the moral of this story kids. Do not, under any circumstances, answer the door at four in the morning. Psychos are out then. This is when things pick up. The girls claims to be looking for someone and then leaves after being told she has the wrong house. James leaves for some unknown reason and doesn't come back for a while. In the time he's gone Kristen probably pisses herself about five times.
Some shuts the flu and the smoke alarm goes off. A man in a mask is seen behind her in the hall. The smoke alarm is picked up when she's not looking. Her phone disappears from the charger and when she calls James from the home phone the phone line gets cut. She hides in the bedroom and someone comes down the hall. Luckily for her, it's James. By now you can see where this is going. Now that James is back the real fun for the psychos begins. They screw with these peoples heads for the rest of the night. Then they finally tie them up and stab them repeatedly. All this just because they were home.
That's what scared me the most about this movie. Demons and ghosts and pure evil I can handle. But sick people, I will never understand. This movie could've been a lot scarier, but it was still done masterfully. The way the masked murderers appear never fails to surprise. The mind games they play with James and Kristen make you wonder just how long these people have been killing. They literally think of everything and every way to make these people scream and fill them with terror. I was all for giving this movie an eight before I watched it again. I guess I over-exaggerated it in my head. Still, it's not like I was too far off.
